Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Winter Fairies

I caught the winter fairies
And put them in a jar,
And they shimmered and they glistened
Just like a morning star.
Their wings were made of baby laughs
And sparkled in the sun,
And while I kept them locked up tight,
They whispered, "Winter, come!"
And so I let them fly away
To let their magic grow,
And when I woke within the night,
Dawn was covered in the snow.
The sun arose and tried to melt
The fairies' late night work,
Though some of it was washed away,
The rest remained unhurt.
They drew me pretty pictures
Upon my window glass,
Such fine, delicate symmetry--
Too fine for it to last.
Five years have passed since I've seen
A winter fairy's thumb.
But when the leaves fall from the trees,
I hear them whisper: "Winter, come!"



No comments:

Post a Comment