Sunday, October 5, 2014

Nevermore

Once upon a past so frightful, when the world was all but spiteful
And treated me with painful jabbing lies  - no love to sow
While I plodded, barely breathing, came a dream so unbelieving,
Though my heartbreak seemed so unending, an ending it clearly showed.
'Tis just a dream,' I muttered, venting, 'A dream from long ago.
Yes, just a dream from long ago.'

But the dream - it ceased to haunt me. Captivated, how it bound me!
For I dreamed of a hopeful, lovely life - no sorrow sown.
And on I plodded, unbelieving, though I knew twas not deceiving -
A brand new chapter I was beginning - gleaming not unlike the snow.
Said I, deeply hesitating, 'Perhaps this dream is something more.
Perhaps...indeed is something more.'

But sorrow drowned my outlook, and how deeply then my soul shook
For love to me was nothing more than a beating and a bruise.
And so I toiled trying, to prevent the heat and heart from dying
And how he tried to stop me dreaming, screaming cold abuse.
Screamed I, sorely shaken, 'Take away my life - it's just a ruse!
Just a sad and lonely ruse..'

That night I dreamed of running, fleeing heavy blows so stunning
And I came to a place where people knew me naught as pain, but Ravven.
I was so strong and overcoming - no more my self harm unbecoming
I was safe within my freedom - hidden from the brutish Craven.
Woke I feverish with slumber, 'Ravven...
In my heart I am the Ravven!'

Out I crept softly in the morning, heart palpitations pounding
The dream was real - the chains of sorrow bound to me no more!
And oh, he caught me fleeing, but I wrestled and started screaming
'You cannot have me, you will never have me, you have never - Oh!'
Quoth I, the Ravven, 'Nevermore!
I shall be free for evermore!

My wingtips blackened from the night, caught the wind and caught the light
And whisked me from the hands that wished to stake my soul.
That place became my burial site, for a brand new Ravven came to life
And when they question what my name and life is called heretofore,
I answer, 'I am Ravven, evermore.
I shall be broken nevermore!'


I am a huge fan of Edgar Allen Poe and the name Ravven has special meaning to me, so I thought I could honor both in the poem.

...

Please take some time to check out the other blogs participating in the September challenge!

http://hangingoutandin.wordpress.com/

http://diaryofamotorhead.wordpress.com/

http://rsliwa.wordpress.com/

http://squeezingthefruit.blogspot.com/

http://heidibethbaker.weebly.com/blog/ages

No comments:

Post a Comment