Friday, February 27, 2015

In The Words Of...

This morning I was browsing the all powerful Internet. I was looking for an inspirational quote to use as a status on my blog's Facebook page. Click. Click. Click. I wanted something that really spoke to me, something that was powerful.

Click.

Whoosh!

You know those moments when you feel like you been struck by lightening, or that you walked right into an invisible wall and had the breath knocked out of you? 

Ladies and gentleman, meet my invisible wall:

What a powerful quote and an even more extraordinary idea. 

I was kind of dumbfounded and my little peewee brain struggled with the emotions I have been harboring for years - resentment, loss, and hate.

Ever had people hanging on your arms and all of them want you to do something different? Well, that is how I have felt for a very long time. As if my wrists had been bound my this invisible leather and these skeletal  hands with long bony fingers grabbed at my elbows stopping my blood flow and rendering me helpless.

Resentment. Loathing. You name it, its a dangerous load to carry around.

But I have always felt that if I just let it go, that they won. I felt like someone needed to remember the bad things, the bone breaking moments. I didn't want it to be like none of it ever happened because then what was the point of it all?

But I suppose that by harboring the hate, I really am giving into what they wanted in the first place. They say misery loves company, and I can agree with that. The person who brings you down must be altogether desperate and miserable.

Where ever you are in life, I encourage you to remember these wise words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. No man or woman should get the enjoyment of seeing you suffer while their pain holds you hostage.

Don't go there, you are better than that.

And so am I.

Break the bonds that bind you, 
Let the shadows flee your sight
For though Misery loves company,
She cannot withstand a fight.

May the Frets be with you.

1 comment:

  1. Your past is a story. It will always be there. Letting go of it doesn't mean you forget, or that WE will forget, it just means you no longer give it power.

    ReplyDelete