Monday, November 22, 2010

Camaraderie


It saddens me, the way people change. You think you've got your best friends and good friends and that life can't change. You think they are always gonna be there for you, no matter what...but young people grow up, discover themselves, discover the people around them, and expand their horizons. Apparently if you're close, you expand with them, or at least are constantly informed of their next moves.

Not true. Over the course of the summer through to now, three of my best friends took flight and disappeared...College is a really big factor in this problem, as is work. We don't have time for each other any more...no more time for late night phone calls, constant texting, and sleepovers. We've become 'mini-adults' and our lives are based around money and education. Yet, another huge factor is romantic relationships.

Too often, way too often, when you get into a relationship, you forget about your friends. You get caught up in your puppy love and want to be with him/her all the time. Typically, a normal crush lasts about 4 months...4 months of ignoring your friends leads to a much longer time trying to make it up to them. This isn't easy at all, when your friend picks their date over you, even though you've been around longer. Granted, couples do need time together--but not at the expenses of losing their friends.

And sometimes, people just change... You grow up, you move on...but...

I miss my three friends so much. I know I am to blame just as much as anyone for the change and shift in our friendship. I too have spread my wings and gone into new regions. I have new people in my life, new friends, new problems, new solutions that my old friends are not apart of.

But check out that picture. See the camaraderie? I would give anything, absolutely anything to go back in time with my three friends to when we talked til three a.m., we texted all day, and we planned whole days together. I wish we could find some way to re-establish our closeness.

Hopefully, someday that will happen.

Learn from my lesson--keep your friends close--they are one of your most valuable possessions.

May the frets be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment