Tuesday, November 16, 2010

To Stay, or Not to Stay

I am facing one of the most difficult decisions of my life. What four year college do I want to transfer to?

My major is music performance. I am finishing up my first year at Lakeland Community College, and have one year left until I transfer. I'm doing really well--I've got A's in every subject and I'm entering a speech competition in December as part of my speech class.

I have considered several local colleges. Some of them include Cleveland State, The John Carroll University, Kent State, and Lake Erie College. They are all fantastic colleges, and they are wise choices. However, none of them really have the music program I am looking for.

I started looking out of state. Some of my dearest family lives in New York. I originally thought of transferring to Dutchess Community College, where my cousin goes, and then transferring to Pace, a fantastic Christian college where several of my New York friends go. However, that didn't seem to be the right direction. My eyes were drawn to Pennsylvania, to a college called Messiah. I have yet another friend who goes there and he has a job as a DJ for the college's radio program. Messiah had me hooked for awhile--until I read that they mostly focus on chamber music. This isn't exactly my style.

My best friend, Debbie, told me about a different school, still in Pennsylvania, called Bible Bethel College. I am still hooked on this college. It has everything I am looking for. Good music, good studies, and best of all, I'd be getting the wholesome Bible influence that I sorely need.

My mind has been pretty much made up.

But, then I met this boy....

Yes, I know what you're thinking. She's gonna screw her life over a guy. Same old story, different storyteller.

Wait a tick. There is one more college on my mind. Its called Baldwin Wallace College, and it specializes in music. Several people have told me about it. Its incredibly expensive, so I would have to get a scholarship or grant, but I'm fairly certain I could do that.

Yet, my gut tells me that's the wrong choice.

I can't get Bible Bethel out of my mind. It just seems like the perfect place for me. I need to get away from my family for awhile. It would be such a good experience for me. To speak frankly, anything in Ohio I consider to be way too close to my family, especially my mom. I know she means well, but she worries too much and it gets on my nerves.

In short, I think I will continue with my plans and go to Bible Bethel. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack from people...especially my Special Friend's friends. But I made these plans before I met him, and I'm not giving my passion up for anyone.

I already gave it up for 16 long years. Never again will I allow that to happen. And if my Special Friend understands at all...then he won't mind waiting. If he's half the man I think he his...then he'll encourage me to do my thing and own myself. He'll want me to accomplish my dream and then come back to him. Give and take. Its what a relationship is all about. If he doesn't do that, then it will be good for me to go far away to forget him.

Its time for me to spread my wings and fly.

May the frets be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment