Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Bonding

My fiance is a huge gamer. He plays everything from ps3 and Xbox 360 to super Nintendo and the original NES system. While I too enjoy gaming, I was never into it as much until we started dating. However, in his incessant need to monologue every game he has played in painful detail to me, something must have hit home.

Most couples I know enjoy date nights. I mean, who wouldn't? Go to dinner, see a movie, go bowling or maybe mini golfing. Yea, I remember those days. We used to do those things too. I know for some couples that's what gives them together time.

My fiance is my best friend. There is no equal. There is no one else I want to call first when I have good news or I am upset. There is no one else I would rather travel with, work with, or plan a future with. With him, I can truly display the raw skin of who I really am. There are no lies, no secrets, no masks or deception. He accepts me for me - all of me! And it goes the other way for him, as well.

Recently, he and I downloaded 'Super Metroid' onto our Wii. It is a super Nintendo game, and one I played with my mom and brothers when I was younger. I had not seen it in years. Like giddy children on Christmas morning, we scavenged the walmarts in our area trying to find the point card we needed. In agonizing impatience we watched the download bar on our tv screen. We high-fived and squealed when it was marked complete. My fiance could barely stand to wait - it was all he talked about all week! Yet, when the icon popped up on our homepage he took the remote...and gave it to me.

Because of some circumstances in my past, I do not have anything from my childhood. It has been something that has been hard for me to accept and deal with. Here, with this silly game, I was about regain something from my youth, and my fiance knew it. He handed me the remote and said, teasingly:

'Show me what ya' got, babe!'



Our jobs are demanding and even though I am coming home to work, we still will have plenty of time apart. At the end of the day it is so comforting to lay on the bed side by side,controller in hand, encouraging each other on, and occasionally looking up cheats on the internet. This is our bonding time at the end of the day, and how we relax.

I wouldn't have it any other way, and I would gladly forfeit any time out to instead be by his side.

May the Frets be with you.


Please check out some other blogs participating in the September challenge!

http://hangingoutandin.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/beauty-in-brokenness/

1 comment:

  1. It's a blessing to marry your best friend. It doesn't matter what you do together as long as it's something you both enjoy. Sounds like you've figured that out. Have a blast on Metroid!

    ReplyDelete